Our law firm is dedicated to helping HR Managers and employers as part of the team, to find and implement initiatives, strategies and business solutions.
We are a team of senior employment solicitors. For further details of our solicitors’ expertise please visit Our Team page.
For businesses – Employment tribunals (defending claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal)
Our standard charges are based on time spent advising and assisting your business.
The estimated costs of pursuing an unfair dismissal or wrongful dismissal claim in the employment tribunal:
- Simple case: £7,000 – £,8000 (excluding VAT)
- Medium complexity case: £8,000 – £15,000 (excluding VAT)
- High complexity case: £15,000 – £25,000 (excluding VAT)
The above figures include our attendance at a final hearing that is up to 1 day for a simple case, up to 3-days for a medium complexity case, and up to 5 days for a high complexity case. There will be an additional charge for each additional day we are required to attend a hearing of (based on time spent applying our hourly rates).
In medium and high complex cases Counsel may act as your advocate at the final hearing. Counsel’s fees are in addition to the above figures and are estimated between £1,500 to £2,500 per day (depending on experience of the advocate) (excluding VAT) for attending a Tribunal Hearing (including preparation).
Many cases will cost less than the above because we are able to secure an early withdrawal of the claim or a low value settlement. However, some cases can cost more if they are particularly complex.
Individual Rates (ph)
- Phil Bramhall: £290
- Rehan Pasha: £270
- John Hassells: £270
- Helen Owen: £240
- Jennifer Yates: £240
Factors that could make a case more complex and expensive:
- If it is necessary to make or defend applications to amend claims or to provide further information about an existing claim.
- Defending claims that are brought by litigants in person.
- Making or defending a costs application
- Whether we need to attend preliminary tribunal hearings. These are more likely in more complex case.
- Complex preliminary issues such as whether the claimant is disabled (if this is not agreed by the parties).
- The number of witnesses and documents.
- If it is an automatic unfair dismissal claim e.g. if the claimant is dismissed after blowing the whistle on your employer.
- Allegations of discrimination which are linked to the dismissal.
- The type of other claims brought within the unfair/wrongful dismissal claim, such as discrimination.
- The factual and legal complexity of the claims.
- The likely length of a final hearing.
- The need for expert evidence such as medical report, actuarial pension report, or employment report.
- The way the Claimant and the Respondent elect to approach the litigation and whether instructions and documents are received in an orderly and/or timely way and/or whether advice is followed.
- For multi-day hearings in particular, the level of seniority of counsel instructed.
Typically, an ordinary simple unfair dismissal / wrongful dismissal claim will take six months to conclude (from the date the claim is lodged to the end of the final hearing). Medium and high complex cases are likely to take between 6-18 months but can take longer.
The fees set out on this page cover all of the work in relation to the following key stages of a claim:
- Taking initial instructions, reviewing the papers and advising on merits and likely compensation (this is likely to be revisited throughout the matter and subject to change);
- Entering into pre-claim conciliation where this is mandatory to explore whether a settlement can be reached;
- Preparing claim or response;
- Reviewing and advising on claim or response from other party;
- Exploring settlement and negotiating settlement throughout the process;
- preparing or challenging/considering a schedule of loss;
- Preparing for (and attending) a Preliminary Hearing
- Exchanging documents with the other party and agreeing a bundle of documents;
- Taking witness statements, drafting statements and agreeing their content with witnesses;
- preparing bundle of documents;
- Reviewing and advising on the other party’s witness statements;
- agreeing a list of issues, a chronology and/or cast list;
- Preparation and attendance at Final Hearing, including instructions to Counsel (if applicable”).
The stages set out above are an indication only and if some of stages above are not required, the fee will be reduced. You may wish to handle the claim yourself and only have our advice in relation to some of the stages. This can also be arranged on your individual needs.
For individuals – (bringing claims for unfair or wrongful dismissal)
We usually only act for employers in relation to employment tribunal claims.
In exceptional cases, if we do accept instructions from an individual in relation to an employment tribunal claim, we will not be able to do so on a contingency fee basis. You may have the benefit of legal expenses insurance that covers part or all of the legal costs of bringing or defending an employment tribunal claim, but you will remain liable for our costs.
The costs of pursuing an unfair dismissal or wrongful dismissal claim in the employment tribunal for an individual will be the same as for businesses, as will the key stages and factors that determine complexity (see above).
The above information is not to be treated as a quote or estimate specific to your matter. If you would like to instruct us, please get in touch, and we will be able to provide tailored cost information for you.
Phil Bramhall is the most competent advisor on employment law issues that I have encountered in over 20 years in the industry. Real pragmatism and a proven ability to meet the needs of the most demanding of clients combines to produce an overall service offering that is second to none.
Russ McCallion, Human Resources Director, PD Ports PLC
Phil’s approach is extremely professional and decisive, but his style is relaxed and approachable. Phil is an excellent employment law adviser whom we value highly. Worth every penny.
Anne Hughes, Human Resources Manager, Arriva North West & Wales
Phil quickly assimilated the objectives of the organisation and provided a flexible, consistent and speedy service as and when required. The value was the practical support when I was under pressure and solutions to employment related issues.
Sharon Owen, Human Resources Manager, Innovata Plc
Worth every Penny
Corporate Personnel Services, Conwy County Borough Council
In my role as HR Consultant I have regularly used the services provided by Bramhalls. Of all the solicitors I have used in the past, I have found Bramhalls to be the best. Phil and his legal team provide an excellent level of customer service. All team members are very approachable. Their turnaround in responding to my issues is first class as are their pragmatic solutions or advice on any issues. Phil and his team tell you what you can do, not what you cannot do which is a refreshing change. They are commercially astute and give excellent value for money. I would recommend using Bramhalls to all my clients.
Pauline Jones. HR Consultant
Phil and the team at Bramhalls take the time to understand our needs. They provide pragmatic and commercial employment law advice, which is always timely and appropriate. They are also fun to work with.
Sharon Owen, Human Resources Manager, . Innovata Plc
We have worked with the team at Bramhalls for a number of years and have developed a strong relationship with Phil. We have especially valued the “no nonsense common sense” approach to employment law, making even the most complex of situations feel clear and manageable. Having the support and advice locally has made a huge difference for us, because sometimes it helps to be able to sit down together and work through issues face to face.
David Barlow. Director of Finance and Corporate Services, Greater Merseyside Connexions Partnership
Phil Bramhall and his team have advised Springfield Day Nurseries Ltd over a number of years giving consideration both to individual cases and to our internal processes. We have found the advice given direct and well thought out. The advice given has saved this company considerable time and cost, hence the longevity of the relationship.
David Edwards. Financial Director Services, Springfield Day Nurseries Ltd
Bramhalls have provided us with employment law support for several years. This has covered many different aspects of day to day employment issues including recruitment, sickness and disciplinary. We have benefited from discussing issues directly with a specialists and have always received excellent and quick advice. This professional advice has saved us a significant amount of time and money and we have with their help managed to bring sensitive issues to a satisfactory conclusion for all parties. I would have no hesitation in recommending Bramhalls to other Companies.
Sandra Forkin. HR & HS Manager, Imperial Machine Company Ltd
We are delighted with the service we receive from Bramhalls. They have always provided us with high quality advice in a timely and efficient manner. More importantly, it is presented in language which a layman can understand, and which shows a clear grasp of the commercial realities of business decisions..
Paul Cooper. Managing Director, Ormandy Group
I need good advice, but I also need it quickly; hence the reason I have had a 15 year association with Phil and his team.
Andrew Waldron, Managing Director, ADR Network